1. Make sure that cookies are completely cool before applying icing or it will melt.
2. When adding food coloring, first mix the color into about 1 tablespoon of icing, and then blend that into the rest of the icing. You can keep adding more drops to get the depth of color you want. Try combining different ratios of drops and various colors to get all the colors of the rainbow.
3. Add 1 Tablespoon of Karo syrup to each cup of icing to help the icing set
4. You want a pretty stiff icing, however If it’s too thick, thin slowly by adding a few drops of water
5. Use a small offset or flexible-blade spatula or a rubber spatula to apply the icing. Push it from the center of the cookie to the edges, place on wire rack or wax paper to set
6. Work quickly so that the icing doesn’t dry out and start to set before you’re finished. You could cover any extra icing with plastic wrap and a wet towel
7. To make accent colors make a few colors then fill in Sandwich baggies twist into a cone and clip the end of the bag and it’s ready to use
8. Once the first coat of frosting is dry, you can pipe another color of frosting over the top to add details with accent colors and designs such as dots, lines, squiggles, and borders, when finish just toss the bag out.
9. Check out HomeBaking.org for more baking tutorials, great recipes, and access to wonderful family activities for the kitchen.
1o. Check out this great video from Nancy Baggett, author of Simply Sensational Cookies.