The word on the street these days is “Pie” as the United States prepares to celebrate National Pie Day on Friday, January 23rd. It’s impossible to escape the magical hold pie has on us in our culture, with some of our earliest memories in the kitchen involving delicious Pumpkin Pie at Thanksgiving, or Grandma’s world famous Apple Pie. Take this opportunity to share your love of good old-fashioned pie (and Baking!) with some important people in your life. Check out some of our suggested PIE recipes below!
As you can see from the “pie chart” above, Apple Pie is the most popular type of pie in America. What else do you know about Apple Pie? Here are some fun facts:
1. Apple Pie was selected as the Official State Pie of Vermont in 1999
2. McDonald’s added their famous Apple Pie to their dessert menu in 1968.
3. In rural homes in the early 19th century, Apple Pie was favored more as a breakfast item.
4. Did you know there are more than 7,500 varieties of apples in the world?
5. Apples are a member of the Rose family (Rosaceae)
6. The first Apple Pie is believed to have been made over 600 years ago in England.
7. The average American eats 6 slices of Apple Pie a year.
8. Other names for a pie are: pastie, oggie, piraski, piragie, patty, and pierogi. More common names include: streusel, tart, turnover, and crumble.
9. Ann Coulter, Bill Gates, Andy Warhol and Calvin Klein, for one reason or another, have all been the victims of a public “pie-ing.”
10. 1 in 5 Americans admits to having eaten an entire pie by themselves!
THE BEST OF THE BEST: Pie Recipes