More than 2/3 of the educators we survey tell us they want to bake more whole grain recipes. Both achieving and enjoying the goal to eat “3 or more servings or 48 grams of whole grains daily” becomes easy with so many wonderful whole grain resources found among HBA’s member test kitchens.
Kelly Toup, MS RD from HBA’s newest partner, The Whole Grains Council highlighted these resources from www.wholegrainscouncil.org.
Plan to teach others by celebrating “Whole Grain Sampling Day April 1, 2015.
Whole Grain Sampling Day (WGSD) is an opportunity to have people everywhere saying, “That was great! Where have whole grains been all my life?”
Any activity, no matter how big or how small, can be a part of Whole Grain Sampling Day, so long as it encourages whole grains. The Whole Grains Council offers tons of resources for WGSD, from downloadable brochures and handouts about whole grains, to a Whole Grain Grocery Store Tour Kit, to Whole Grain Trivia Contest Kit, to a database of sample Tweets for WGSD. Looking for ideas?
- Start your family’s day off right with Multi Grain Corn Flour Waffles or Simple Spelt Pancakes
- Donate whole grain bread to a local food pantry
- Teach your students about what whole grains are and why they’re important
- Bake whole grain bread or brownies from scratch with your kids, and then surprise your neighbors with some home-baked, whole grain goodies
- Teach kids how to look for whole grain foods at the grocery store or in their pantries at home
- Treat your students to a yummy whole grain snack, such as popcorn or granola
If you’re interested in joining the movement to promote whole grains this April, get in touch with Kelly Toups, RD (Kelly@oldwayspt.org, or 617-896-4884). Kelly will help you brainstorm ideas, and let you know how the Whole Grains Council can support your nutrition education efforts. We love to hear about fun, new ways to encourage whole grains, so reach out to Kelly to share your whole grain event, whether you’re a teacher, a dietitian, a manufacturer, a chef — or simply an individual planning to do something special!