January’s a welcome “back to the basics” after the holiday hustle. It’s also National Book Month! If you didn’t get a great food prep book in your gift mix, check out on-line reads like Oklahoma’s Best of Baking. Baking helps match 2016 New Year’s Resolutions to
- use fewer resources and do-it-yourself (Keep the Dough in Your Pocket chart)
- avoid fast-food drive thru to save $$$ and calories; and
- log 10,000 daily steps… shopping, cooking and baking
To get started…
A: See How to Measure Flour video in the HBA Glossary, go to Flour entry.
B: Game download, Measure UP! Activity
C: DO practice measuring and mixing a homemade wholegrain pancake mix!
Learn leavening basics like the difference between baking powder and baking soda
A: View leavening videos plus links in Glossary, www.homebaking.org Go to Chemical Leavening and Yeast entries.
B: Read Baking Science: Cause and Effect, What Happened to the Yeast Bread
- DO read recipes and bake Biscuits with the pros, http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/2934/perfect-buttermilk-biscuits
Put skills to work for meals at home…
- Made-by-Me Pizza (personal pan or family-sized) works for us once a week!
- Homemade Pizza vs Takeout
A Chicago Style Pizza buff? Try Chicago’s #1 pizza flour and recipe for Thick Crust Pizza Dough!
DO get started with Cheese Marinara Pizza