The benefits of a healthy breakfast are astounding! Share this information throughout the month of September, National Breakfast Month, and the rest of the year as well!
- September is National Breakfast Month! Dig into cereals, breads, pancakes 2 start day with grains. This is one meal u can’t skip.
- Not good: 93% of Americans think breakfast is the most important meal, but only 44% eat breakfast every day. Be a breakfast eater!
( International Food Information Council, 2009 Consumer Attitudes Torward Food, Nutrition and Health survey)
- 79% of parents say they eat breakfast with their kids. Now that’s a good example to set!
(Kix cereal survey by Opinion Research Corporation, 2010)
- 80% of school kids eat breakfast every day. Start the school year off right by making sure breakfast is eaten.
(Temple University Center for Obesity Research and Education. Foster. 2011 study; presented to Obesity Society.)
- It’s not just little kids who do better with breakfast. College students who ate breakfast did better on memory tests, says British study.
(Am J Clin Nutr 1998. Benton and Parker.)
- School-age girls need a larger breakfast than same-age boys do in order to do well in school, says Univ of Ulster report.
(Univ of Ulster, Northern Ireland, study. Stewart. 2003 study.)
- Are you a breakfast eater? No?! Best to be one. Breakfast-skipping often leads to overall bad eating, study says.
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2010 Feb: 50 (2): 97-9. Giovannini.
- Start your school year off right. Make back-to-school meal.
- Did u oversleep? Spread nut butter on toast or pita bread, add ground ginger or cinnamon & you have a fast breakfast sandwich.
- How do you make sure breakfast is part of your kid’s morning, every day? Share your tips with other shoppers!
- People who skip breakfast eat 40% more sweets, 55% more sodas, 45% fewer veggies and 30% less fruit than people who do eat breakfast.
(Dairy Research Institute, Auestad, June 28, 2012 presentation to IFT)
- In a hurry? Grab a whole grain cereal and sweeten it with fruit or low-fat yogurt.
- Kids who eat breakfast do better on math tests, studies show. Make sure your family starts the day right with a healthy breakfast!
(Physiol Behav. 2012 Jun 25;106(4):548-55. Epub 2012 Apr 4. Pivik.)
- Men who skip breakfast are 21% more likely to develop type 2 diabetes, says a Harvard study.
(Am J Clin Nutr 2012 May; 95(5):1182-9. Mekary.)
- Eat breakfast daily & you’re 43% less likely to become obese & 40% less likely to develop fat around your belly.
(University of Minnesota School of Public Health. Odegaard. 2012 study; preliminary results presented at American Diabetes Association Scientific Sessions)
- Eating whole grain breakfast cereal lowers your risk of high blood pressure by 20%, says Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
(Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Kochar. 2011 study; presented to American Heart Association meeting)
- Skipping breakfast can raise cholesterol levels in healthy, lean women, according to a UK study.
(Am J Clin Nutr, 2005 Feb; 81(2):388-396. Farshchi)
- Eating a healthy breakfast that includes whole grains lowers risk of heart disease, says the Harvard Heart Letter.
(Harvard Heart Letter. May 2008.)
- What did you have for breakfast today? September is National Breakfast Month. Help us spread the word!
- You need at least 6 servings of grains daily. How many did u get at breakfast? Try: toast, cereal, pita, tortillas, whole wheat waffles.