July 2017 Summer is no time to stop baking! It’s the perfect month to celebrate Culinary Arts Month and polish baking creativity and skills by preparing for local, county and state fair competitions.
Gain the competitive edge.
1. Start with tested recipes from HBA Test Kitchens.
2. Meet HBA members who sponsor fair baking awards. www.chsugar.com; www.dominosugar.com; www.kswheat.com; www.okwheat.org
3. Sculpt specialty rolls, braids and centerpiece entries
Need help? Talk to a baker–
call OR log on
Need some Grilling Month goals? Add grilled pizza or flatbread to your skill set!
July Belongs to Blueberries Month bakers will love Blueberry Banana Bread and Blueberry Bread Pudding. Add a blueberry search at www.landolakes.com and you’ll find too many options to count. I’ll start with a blueberry flan! Kids can Book and Bake with Blueberries for Sal!
Try a new method and dry griddle bake Soft Wrap Bread. Boiling water is mixed with the flour, “cooking” the starch and resulting in a soft, pliable product to cradle what comes off the grill.
Check out the latest summer Food Safety Guidelines.
Bake for Service Learning: Early starts on cooking and baking skills matter! With summer learning a priority, baking is “STEAM” education. Bake with friends, sibs, and when you baby-sit to teach children baking basics.
Find starter resources (English and Spanish)
- You’ll love Bake for Good Kids self-directed resources!
- KidsaCookin’ and The Family Dinner Project are great!
If you’d like to learn more about baking events and celebrations this quarter (July, August, September) download this handy calendar pdf